Monday, October 1, 2012

Q&A: Booking a Mediterranean cruise. Need help?

I’m looking to book a cruise in the Mediterranean but I’m feeling a bit lost at the moment. Normally I reside in Colorado but at the moment I’m living in London for a term doing Uni. I’ve tried doing some searches online for cruises and I find that since I’m accessing the internet from the UK I’m automatically given primarily UK website (this is for obvious reasons but a bit troublesome when trying to search US sites) but I’ve run across a few American based websites that price the exact same cruises but once you do the currency conversion between the two listed prices, booking a cruise over here seems to be a fair bit more expensive.

I’d really like suggestions either for a US based website that I can actually access from here or a travel agent that thinks they might be able get me a better deal than what I’ve been able to find online.

Ideally what I’ve been trying to find is a Mediterranean cruise that is 11+ nights and departs no sooner than the evening of 27 March (if leaving from Southampton) or the 28th if departing anywhere else. Because I’m here doing an internship with a Uni I have to be back in London by 25 April.

I’ve managed to find a cruise that fits this for 12 days and runs about £700 but I’d really like to find out if something can be booked cheaper through a US site or agent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I’d like to find the best deal possible.

As a side note – I realize the price I mentioned above is a per person rate and there will be a 2nd traveler with me. Also, I’m a military spouse of an active duty soldier and wondering about any military discounts that a cruise line might provide. Thanks in advance!
Well, mind you, I did say it was in pounds (£) not dollars ($ ) but 700 quid is about $ 950US. But anyhow, the cruise I was looking at was from Royal Caribbean, leaving on April 13th. The other I was looking at was about $ 100 more and was MSC cruise line leaving on April 7th.
military travel discounts uk.

TINKERTOY ….. the 1 & only:I have done two Mediterranean cruises and have another booked now. These are the cruise line web sites that I have used and/or the ones that you should look at for US rates.

PRINCESS:

http://www.princess.com/index.html

CARNIVAL:

http://www.carnivalcruiselines.com/

AZAMARA:

http://www.azamaracruises.com/07/azama…..

CELEBRITY:
http://www.celebritycruises.com/home .

ROYAL CARIBBEAN:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/gohome.d…..

NORWEGIAN:

http://www.ncl.com/

I have cruised the Med on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean, both good cruise lines.

Since you are looking at a cruise within the next month or so you will pay a higher price. Cruise lines gives the best rates for early bookings that are a year or more in advance. Then the price starts to go up and the cabin selections start to go down. That’s my experience with more than 20 cruises. In addition, your price will be affected by the rather narrow window you have. The prices of cruises can vary for the exact same cruise from week to week by hundreds of dollars. The time slot you are working with is close to and/or includes Easter and thus the prices may be higher.

at any rate, try the web sites I have given to see if there are better options. Begin your search by searching for cruises to Europe and then select the departure port(s) you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment